Popular Blogs!

2015年9月21日 星期一

How Much Do You Know about Singapore Food?

The reason I want to introduce Singapore but now other countries as I did my internship there in my last summer holiday. Singapore gave me a very impressive impression. Therefore, I decided to record all the amazing things that I have experienced in Singapore.

If you have never been to Singapore, there is a short video to introduce some famous sightseeing places and beautiful views in Singapore. Enjoy!  




1. Bak Kut Teh (肉骨茶 lit. Meat bone tea/ Pork Ribs soup)



As a Chinese, rice is the key to every meal for me. When I was in Singapore, I tried meat bone tea many times because I lived in Katong and there is a very famous meat bone tea restaurant there. If you just look at its name, it may give you a misunderstanding that it is a combination of tea and meat bones. Actually, the tea here means soup. It's really very delicious! 

The picture below is the meat bone tea restaurant near my hostel in Singapore. Super delicious!


2. Wanton Mee (云吞面)





In Hong Kong, we also have very famous Wanton noodles, but they are different obviously. In Hong Kong, we normally have the Wanton noodles with a lot of soup. In Singapore, there is not much soup with the noodles. Besides, you can choose if you would like to choose a spicy or non-spicy one. 

The Singapore Wanton noodles was probably influenced by Hong Kong cuisine, but has become entrenched in our culture over the years. The Singapore version is typically eaten ‘dry’, drenched with some light sweet sauce, slices of pork char siew and wanton dumplings filled with pork, with a small bowl of soup on the side. Auntie will also ask if you want spicy or not. The spicy type sees chilli being mixed into the noodles, while the non-spicy kids version will have tomato sauce mixed in. Wanton dumplings may be either deep fried or come in soup dumplings.



3. Laksa




Laksa is a very special food in Singapore and I have never tried it before this trip. As I mentioned before, I lived in Katong, which located in a food area. Not only meat bone tea, there is also a very famous Laksa restaurant there called 328 Laksa. Every day, there will be a lot of people there to line up for this. 

Laksa is a dish merged from Chinese and Malay elements otherwise known as Peranakan culture. There are 2 main types of laksa- curry laksa and asam laksa. Curry laksa is more predominant in Singapore, while assam laksa is found more in Malaysian regions like Penang Laksa. In fact there loads of variants of Laksas differing in fish type, broth and even noodles.

Here is a useful link for everyone to learn how to cook it by yourself. Hope it could be helpful.
 

 4.  Hokkien Prawn Mee



 

As we know, the living expense in Singapore is not cheap and it would be quite expensive to eat in the formal restaurant everyday. There are a lot of popular food court or hawker centers in Singapore, which can provide many delicious food with cheaper prices. The Hokkien Prawn Mee in food court is the most famous one.

The Singapore Hokkien Mee fries a combination of egg noodles and rice noodles in a rich prawn stock with cubes of fried pork fat, prawns, fish cake and squid. Some vendors add pork strips as well to add more flavour. This dish was a product of post-war Hokkien noodle factory workers who would gather along Rochor road and fry any excess noodles they had. 

5. Indonesian Grilled Chicken



Lastly, it is my favorite food in my whole trip in Singapore. I always ate it the food court in different shopping malls. Every time I would lineup for it for almost half an hour and it is really popular in both local people and tourists. 

 




4 則留言:

  1. Thank you for your comments, I can tell you the specific locations about these food in Singapore if you wanna know! <3

    回覆刪除
  2. I have never been to Singapore before. But i really wanna go there and try these delicious food. You mentioned that you did your internship in Singapore. What a great chance! Which company did you work in and where did you stay there during the whole summer holiday? Because I know that the rental there is not expensive?

    Haha,sorry for so many questions, but just want to know more Singapore. Maybe I will have a travel plan there within this year. Thank you in advance for letting me know more about it.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. haha, I should tell you earlier about it. I did my internship in UOB and I lived in Katong with my friend. We shared a double room, so the rate was not that high. I really recommend Singapore as you can try different kinds of foreign food from all over the world.

      Just whatsapp me if you wanna know more.

      刪除